A Honeymoon In Maldives: What You Need To Know
For all the newly-weds, married couples who want a second honeymoon and everyone in between, this article is for you.
If you’ve been looking for the perfect honeymoon destination for you and your partner to go and enjoy, then look no further as Maldives is the only place you will ever need to go to when it comes to relaxation, romance and recreation!
Maldives is known as one of the top honeymoon destinations in the world and for good reason. And if you want your dream honeymoon experience to come to life, then a resort there is the place to be, along with the amazing Maldives honeymoon packages they have to offer.
This article will take you through all you need to know about honeymooning in Maldives, such as: Why go on a Maldives honeymoon? When is the best honeymoon period in Maldives? How long should the honeymoon be? Where should we stay? All the answers to these questions and more, so strap yourselves in and read on to discover the best Maldives honeymoons!
So you’re asking yourself: Why should I honeymoon in the Maldives? Why not Ibiza in Spain or Santorini in Greece? Maldives has within it one of, if not the best resort settings in the world. Each resort is located on their own private island, which in turn provides seclusion & exclusivity to the people who go to enjoy their resort stay. Relax in a slice of heaven by going to one of over 160 island resorts spread out over the ocean.
Each island is surrounded by a sea of amalgamated blues and greens, multicoloured coral reefs and fine white sandy beaches, all of which beckon you to explore to your heart’s content.
Almost all of the accommodation at the resorts are built with romance and luxury in mind. Stay at an overwater villa and listen to the ocean serenade your honeymoon with its waves. Beach villas offer an unrivalled seclusion where you and your partner can walk the beaches at sunset without a single soul in sight.
While you and your partner indulge in the accommodations, don’t forget to enjoy the vast array of activities that Maldives resorts have to offer as well! Relax and recuperate with your partner by booking yourselves a spa treatment that will ooze all the stress out of your body and walk out feeling light as a feather. Take to the seas and enjoy safaris on traditional Maldivian boats, discover underwater beauty with world-class snorkelling & diving sites, get your play on with various choices of watersports and much more!
When you’re making your booking, it’s important to check at what point during the year you decide to go. Meaning, the seasons. Maldives only has two seasons they experience, the southwest monsoon being the wet season and the northeast monsoon being the dry season. The wet season usually starts at around mid-May and goes on until November, while the dry season is usually from January to March. While keeping this in mind, it is also important to note that the peak season for honeymooners to vacation in Maldives is between November to April, which is during the dry season so if you like the hustle & bustle of a lively atmosphere while you’re vacationing along with the absence of rain, then you should look at deals and offers between November to April.
However, if you’re an avid rain enjoyer, a pluviophile if you will and you don’t mind a bit of rain, then you should book your trip during the months of May to November. Not only do you get to enjoy a colder Maldives with the rain lulling you to sleep, you also get to enjoy the best value offers available for booking your trip! May to July and September to November are your best bets to grab yourselves the best travel deals to the Maldives so don’t hesitate to check those dates out while planning your trip!
Let’s talk a little bit about the length of your honeymoon and how long we recommend your stay in Maldives should be for the best experience. Ideally, you would want to spend around a week to ten days on this little island nation is more than enough if you simply want to just relax, kick back and enjoy the summer winds and crystalline waves. However, if you are a diving enthusiast or a snorkelling connoisseur, it is advisable to increase the duration of your stay.
Diving and/or snorkelling should be practised with care and with professional help so it’s only natural that you get taken through a quick refresher course before you step up to the real deal. All in all, an increase to 12 to 14 days would be ideal to fully experience the beauty Maldivian waters have to offer to the world.
If you want to have an even more fulfilling trip by adding on more activities, we suggest that you make your trip a 2-week stay in the Maldives but a 1-week stay in 2 resorts each! So let’s say that you want to go diving AND have yourselves a wellness journey as well. Getting the full breadth of each experience may not yield the best results if you’re only staying for a week or even ten days. Instead, why not book your first week to go diving in a Marine Protected Area with whale sharks at, for example at LUX* South Ari Atoll Maldives and then spend your second week being relaxed & pampered at a wellness retreat that ticks all the boxes for recovery, nutrition & balance, such as JOALI Being Maldives!
If you’re feeling extra adventurous, consider the possibility of combining your honeymoon in Maldives with a honeymoon in say, Dubai or even Sri Lanka as well! The reason for this is to bring contrast into your trip; start your honeymoon at Maldives with the relaxation that the sun, ocean & sea will provide and end it with a tropical adventure in Sri Lanka.
You can make your honeymoon a total of two weeks, with the first week in Maldives and the second week in Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka, book your time during sunrise or sunset to go elephant watching at the beautiful Udawalawe National Park, where 700 elephants spend their days in serene peace. Or perhaps if you’re into a bit of history, Visit the ruins of Sigiriya, the ancient rock fortress situated in Sri Lanka’s Central Province’s northern Matale District, close to the town of Dambulla. Bring yourself into more of a relaxed state by easing your spirit and step into the Sri Dalada Maligawa Temple, an architectural labour of beauty that houses the sacred tooth of Buddha.
If you’re a same-sex couple, it is important to note that Maldives is an Islamic nation. While this may be the case, the resort islands are highly accepting of same-sex couples so you and your partner have nothing to worry about. Resorts such as the Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives, Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, Gili Lankanfushi and more island resorts cater to same-sex couples and all resorts in Maldives hold no prejudice against any persons of the LGBTQ+ community. So rest assured that you and your partner will feel warm and welcomed without any prying eyes.
Now that we’ve covered quite a lot of substantial details, let’s discuss where exactly you should go to spend your honeymoon in Maldives. Here are 30 island resorts that you can pick and choose from:
- Emerald Maldives Resort & Spa (Amazing spa services)
- Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru Maldives (Incredible snorkelling experience)
- Cocoon Maldives (Unforgettable wedding setting, for those who want to make their honeymoon even more special)
- Furaveri Island Resort & Spa Maldives (A Wellness Village awaits)
- Baros Maldives (Set out to sea on a Baros Cruise)
- Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives (An island hopping experience like no other)
- COMO Cocoa Island Maldives (Go on a whale shark expedition with your partner)
- LUX* South Ari Atoll Maldives (Private & top-tier villas for visitors)
- Hurawalhi Island Resort Maldives (An adult-only paradise)
- The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort (Go diving in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve)
- Fairmont Sirru Fen Fushi Maldives (Multiple restaurants for the foodie experience)
- SAii Lagoon Maldives (Multiple accommodation options)
- JOALI Maldives (Discover art in an already beautiful setting with their Art Studio & Gallery)
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi (Private & romantic dining experiences)
- Anantara Dhigu Maldives (A beach resort for families)
- Bandos Maldives (Dive & see over 200 species of coral)
- The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort (A crystalline lagoon to relax in)
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives (For the music lovers)
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa (An unbeatable sanctuary of relaxation)
- Shangri-La Villingili Resort & Spa Maldives (Rejuvenate yourself with their spa experiences)
- You & Me By Cocoon Maldives (Romance redefined)
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives (A grand getaway at a beautiful island resort)
- Mӧvenpick Resort Kuredhivaru Maldives (A chocolatey adventure for the happy couple with their Chocolate Hour)
- Anantara Veli Resort & Spa (Watch a movie under the stars)
- Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Kuda Huraa (An unmatched 5-star experience)
- ROBINSON Club Noonu (Enjoy relaxation & exercise with WellFit)
- Komandoo Island Resort Maldives (Dive into a sea of beauty)
- Adaaran Prestige Water Villas Maldives (Enjoy accommodation like no other)
- Angaga Island Resort & Spa Maldives (Extensive spa treatments)
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island (Enjoy underwater dining at its finest)
And here are our absolute favourites from this list:
- Emerald Maldives Resort & Spa
- Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives
- COMO Cocoa Island Maldives
- LUX* South Ari Atoll Maldives
- Hurawalhi Island Resort Maldives
- JOALI Maldives
- You & Me By Cocoon Maldives
- Komandoo Island Resort Maldives
- Adaaran Prestige Water Villas Maldives
We hope you’ve stuck around until the end of this article, as we at MadlyMaldives want to give everyone the best information out there when it comes to vacationing of any kind in the Maldives. Information such as why you should honeymoon in the Maldives, when is the best time to come to Maldives for a honeymoon, how long you should spend your honeymoon in Maldives, honeymoon pairing options, same-sex honeymooning in Maldives and the island resorts you should check out!
We know it’s important for you to choose the perfect place to honeymoon which is why we gave our favourite options along with an extensive list as well!
So waste no time and come on over to MadlyMaldives to make your bookings today!